It’s that time of year again, where I take a look back at popular music, indie music, and virtual world issues of 2008, and give you my top 5 in each category. Today I’m going to start with the” Best Popular Music you’ve heard of for 2008″, essentially anyone who has been signed with a major contract, played on the radio or is in a major commercial because of their music will get placed into this category. Lets Begin.
- This year Lil’ Wayne made it easy to pick the best single of 2008, it also seemed to be his year. He appeared on every track imaginable, in commercials, and released an album that has remained on the Billboards Top album list for 27 weeks. It was damn near impossible to not hear Lolipop it was played everywhere: online, on iTunes, on iPod’s, in the car, in the club, on the cab ride back to her house after the club, in the morning after, during the breakup, and in the candy store.
- 4 Minutes is not a lot of time, especially when you have 2 guys and 1 girl in the same room. However, what ever image your dirty mind has conjured with that last sentence, the people I’m referring to is Madonna, Timberland and Justin Timberlake. Tell me when your naughty thoughts have ended. The song, 4 Minutes, just shows that a former sex icon, a former boy band member and a current sex icon, and a Hip-Hop producer can take over the world in under 4 minutes.
- This year’s surprise was Santogold. Appearing out of nowhere, the indie-hipster sounding female splashed onto the top singles scene with L.E.S. Artistes. Santogold has a really unique sound that captures the attention of the current hipster trend without the snarkiness, posturing and fakeness that the world displays. Actually the song is sort of a dis to the same recycled trends seen in the Lower East Side of NYC. Bravo!! Rolling Stone’s is absolutely correct when they said Santogold is “One ‘Paper Planes’ away from being the new M.I.A.” If she’s not there now, she’s damn near close.
- Coldplay’s Viva la Vida was so popular this year, that they are being sued over the single. That’s proof that you’ve made it big! Viva la Vida was this years theme song. It seemed to capture every single moment of this historic year, from the Bejing Olympics to Barack Obama’s presidential nomination. This song is grand!
- I do my best to be neutral when creating top or the “best of” lists, this choice single is an example. Beyonce released a new anthem for women who have moved on from their ex’s, Single Ladies. While I have a lot of respect for Beyonce, I don’t like this song at all! While I will not delve into my personal commentary about the song it has garnered a ton of airplay and attention. It has become a new anthem for women who want more from their men (i.e. commitment).
I’m a huge fan of Kanye West and I like his new album, to bad his singles Heartless and Welcome to Heartbreak did not gardner as much attention as American Boy, Estrelle’s single he’s featured on. Gnarls Barkley decided to Run this year rather than go crazy, Lil Wayne made A Mili, Weezer made some Pork and Beans, Usher found some Love in the Club, Flow Rida got Low, N.E.R.D. talked about Everyone Noses and Janet Jackson provided some Feedback.
In the “Artists I really like with killer singles in 2008 but I wish I could have ranked higher” section we have T.I.’s Swagger Like Us,Whatever You Like, and Live Your Life, Ludacris’ What Them Girls Like, and Snoop Dogg’s Sensual Seduction. Metallica made their come back with The Day That Never Comes while Michael Jackson got remixed and started something with Akon on Wanna Be Startin’ Something 2008.
Runner up for the “anthem for women who have moved on from their ex’s” is Pink’s So What. This year’s “Stoner” anthem is also this years “Song that got revived from a previous release” is M.I.A.’s Paper Planes. The best free song of 2008 is Nine Inch Nails 1,000,000.
The most definitive song of 2008, is Will.I.Am’s Yes We Can because we could, and we did!
Did I forget a single? Do you disagree with me? Do you agree with me? Feel free to leave a comment and list your favorites.